8 January 2016

Hwæt ! Greetings from Old England.

Hello, I'm Aelfgyva and will sporadically contribute to this blog.

I'm a French reenactor belonging to la Compagnie du Dragon Vert.
I embarked on reenactment by following an unusual path : my group aims at recreating Tolkien's Middle-Earth, but from a historical perspective.
As you can guess by my name, I chose to be a person from Rohan. Tolkien specified that Rohirrim were based on late Anglo-Saxons and used Old English to render rohirric language.Thus, my costumes are sourced from 11th century Anglo-Saxon England. They even have travelled to the Battle of Hastings reenactment !

I'm a bit of a Jack-of-all-trades and have doodled with dyeing, tablet-weaving, leather-working, cooking and some sword-fighting.
My main interest is in the evolution of costumes. One of my long-term goals is to understand the evolution from Dark Age fashion to 12th century in England.

Most 11th century women were Christian and wore a veil. But this picture is of Léofwyn, girl from Rohan, where there is no such thing as a Christian deity, and so, we can leave our hair uncovered.
Aelfgyva

No comments:

Post a Comment